The Myers Magna-60 Centrifugal Molecular Still is intended for production of high-vacuum distillation of heat sensitive organic compounds.
With over fifty years of experience in the design and manufacturing of Centrifugal Molecular Stills, Myers can offer the unique qualifications for supplying the system our customers require.
Four independent heat zones and three separated condensing zones allow the Magna 60 to be used as a one, two, or three stage still.
The design capability of a standard Magna 60″ still manufactured by the Myers Vacuum Corporation is up to 2,000 pounds per hour feed rate depending upon feed material and process. Material is fed into a vacuum chamber to the bottom of a heated flowerpot shaped spinning rotor.
The material then travels up the inside surface of the rotor by centrifugal force to form a thin film. The desired material is evaporated and condenses on the internal water-cooled leaf condenser.
The heavier un-evaporated residue slides off the rotor into a collecting gutter; all fractions flow by gravity out of the still to discharge pumps.
Advantages of the Magna 60
Major advantages to be expected from the MYERS Magna 60 molecular still are:
- High product percentage yields
- Elimination of color bodies.
- Elimination of odor fractions.
- Reduction of acid values in ester distillation.
- Removal of excess reactants.
- Elimination of residual metal catalysts.
- Minimized thermal hazards (a necessity for heat sensitive compounds).
Applications and general uses: https://www.myers-vacuum.com/stillaps.shtml
Magna 60 Schematic Diagram
- Vacuum Chamber – with water-cooled lid and trap, two diffusion ejector pumps and a mechanical roughing pump.
- Rotor – rotating “flower pot” shaped with four independently controlled heat zones
- Condenser – 42 water cooled leaf condensers parallel to the rotor surface with three separate gutter networks
- Water control manifold with all required valves
- Gutter systems for separate removal of three (3) distillates, drip and residue
- PLC Control center with solid state, controls for vacuum gauges, pumps, motors and heaters, temperature displays, etc.
- Liquid Transfer – six (6) variable speed gear pumps. Each line with individual sight port and ball valve.
- Platform with skid safe steps and railing to service components inside the vacuum chamber during shutdown periods, for observation through the dome sight glasses during operation.
- Liquid transfer gear pumps ( chamber feed and trap drain) with valuable speed motors
- Degass chambers as required, with heater bands and removable thermal covers
- Liquid Nitrogen or Multi-coolant trap which provides for entrainment separation and protection of pumping system
- Mechanical Roughing Pump